Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Yukon adventure

Tomorrow Dan and I leave on a five week adventure to the Yukon Territory in northern Canada. We are driving to Whitehorse (about 2000 miles), where we will begin paddling the Yukon River 460 miles to Dawson City. This is the water route taken by the gold miners in 1898. We hope to make it in 14 days. It is not a difficult river; the water moves quickly, but there are only two class 2 rapids in that whole stretch. We are joining "GrizzLee" and his son "Yukon Johann", who did this same trip two years ago. Their experience has been invaluable in helping us prepare for this journey. We are "Dawson Dan" and "Klondike Kate". I couldn't find a good word to go with Joann, so I used my middle name. I since discovered that this name was a popular one for the ladies of the night in Dawson City during the gold rush.

While on the river, we will be reading the poems of Robert Service, who moved to Whitehorse in 1904, 6 years after the gold rush, and began writing about the area and about the tales he heard from the locals (many of which aren't true). We also have Jack London's Call of the Wild and a well written history of the gold rush.

We'll be posting photos on another blog - we have a link to it - so if you want to follow our journey, check it out. We may post on this blog as well.

1 comment:

Alohalynnee said...

Hi, I am not sure if this will work since I just wrote a long comment and it didn't so...anyway looks like fun. I am praying for you both.